Tuesday, 11 August 2009

Archaeological Gift

a documentary made by BBC mentioned that Giovanni Battista Belzoni had a gift on locating the ancient Egyptian treasures (sites). This statement kind of hit me between the eyes. Archaeology was once a GIFT, not an ability to analyse and interpret. Can you imagine how lucky one can be when they actually have a gift on finding significant archaeological sites?

I have spent almost 6 years studying archaeology since I decided to be one when I was a little girl. I was in 5th grade, and I dont even know what an archaeologist has to do in the field. Shadows of great fossils of dinosaurs and the haunting faces of the Pharaohs stuck inmy mind
until I received the news that I was accepted in the University of Indonesia, where I would then be studying Indonesian archaeology. Of course, along the way, I discovered Stonehenge and the mysterious Easter Island. I've been to the ups and downs of being an undergrad student of archaeology. The difficulties to draw artifacts (since I have no talent whatsoever in drawing), the complicated seriation of potteries from an unknown site, and then the biggest test of my analytical ability was challenged during my thesis-defend session (which to me seemed to last only 20 minutes, but was apparently longer to friends who were waiting for me outside the room).

A gift?
Maybe I dont have the gift that Belzoni had.

To be honest, I was half-insulted when I heard that statement. But all I can do was smirked and smiled bitterly upon hearing it. I have spent nearly half of my life studying archaeology, all only fueled with passion, no gifts. That sentence seemed to be placed to express a wrong impression.
I havent read the history of the Great Belzoni (although I have worked on an ancient Egyptian-related issue for one of my essays), so I wouldn't know if that gift really exist.

So, yeah..
I'm still wondering, will I be blessed with a gift of archaeological ability as great as Belzoni, to do something slightly significant. If I have the gift, maybe it wouldn't take me this long to be someone I had dreamed of for a long time.